Wow...This week has gone by so fast! I feel like I
have seen so much and I have only been here a week. I already feel super close
to everyone here at the center. So far I have gone into the city a few times.
It is super amazing and beautiful. Everything is so ancient and old, with so
much culture and history.
 |
Random Picture I took of the Jerusalem Center (It is a glorious place)
|
I think I already have a favorite part of the Holy
city, which is the Jewish Quarter. It is just beautifully kept. I don't really
know why but I really love learning about the Jewish Culture and people, but I
just do. I am in a Hebrew class right now. I had my first class yesterday
(which was pretty fun, kind of like a kindergarten class.) we sang songs
learned words like. "Shalom"! and that means Hello, Goodbye and
Peace. We also learned "Shabbat Shalom", which translates to hope you
have a peaceful Sabbath. "Todah" means thank you. And from what the
teacher said it should be easy for us to learn Hebrew after we have this class,
because it is one of the easiest languages to learn. Another reason I
think that I like the Jewish Quarter so much, because we stopped and got this
delicious candied nuts. I really want to go back and get some more. Another
interesting thing about the Jews is how many times people have tried to destroy the
Jews. We read an article about it for my Jewish Civilization Class. I thought
it had only happened with the Nazis but it happened multiple times and they
were removed from their homes many of times also.
 |
| Some of the super fun amazing students here at the center! That is the Dome of the Rock behind us. |
 |
| The Arch of the Covenant! What? This is inside the Augusta Victoria Church. |
Umm...what else have I done. I got to go the Garden of Gethsemane last
Saturday. Saturday is our Sabbath day here in at the Jerusalem Center. It is
very strange saying Saturday instead of Sunday, when you ask people how their
day is going. We also got to visit the city this sabbath which was interesting, because it was Easter for the Orthodox Christians. There are so many religions here. Everyone wants their own piece of the Holy City. Everyone is different also, it is extremely interesting to see the cultures and languages spoken. There are people from all over the world here.
 |
| All of us that were wearing coral/red/pink...At the look out point. |
 |
| Amy, Lauren and I at the lookout near the Dome of the Rock, this trip that I found those super good candied nuts :D |
Sierra!! Reading this post makes me so incredibly happy for you and also feel like i want to cry with jealousy! I'm excited to hear about all of your adventures, and I will try desperately not to get too "homesick" but i'm sure i will anyway!
ReplyDeleteHannah! Thanks for reading:D I am super excited to see what the rest of the semester holds! I already love it and I can't imagine loving it even more. By the Way Congrats! I want to hear the whole story, (I remember most the background when we talk in the car that one summer) hopefully I will be able to see you when I get back so I can hear all about it.
Delete